Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Reality A & Reality B

Thought some of you might be interested in the article "Reality A & Reality B," which appeared last month in the New York Times. Haruki Murakami is a Japanese novelist whose work (in translation) has done fairly well in the US. I read his novel, After Dark, a couple of years ago and it is interesting in that it represents the "chaos," to use his word, of a single night in a strictly linear narrative. In some ways I think you could say that it is this very rigid linear structure that creates the sensation of chaos, which is sort of odd. It also uses what I remember as a "camera angle" feel to distance the reader from the narrative and keep our perception of the story very tightly focused. This close-up framing leaves the reader very much aware of what you are unable to see and creates an interesting tension with the images that are revealed.

Anyway, I digress and it has been a while since I read the novel so maybe I'm remembering it wrong. In any case, give the article a look. I think it fits in nicely with our readings this week.

Chris

Edited to note that my response to the readings is on Blackboard.

Edited again because I'm procrastinating writing my paper and thought this was interesting, too: "If an Island State Vanishes, Is It Still a Nation?" Now, no more internet! Back to work!

No comments:

Post a Comment