Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Tampering with the evidence

"I am fascinated by the signs of alteration, tampering, even destructiveness which many museums try to simply efface" (Greenblatt, 2159).

"How were they originally used? What cultural and material conditions made possible their production? What were the feelings of those who originally held these objects, cherished them, collected them, and possessed them? What is the meaning of my relationship to these same objects now that they are displayed to me here, in this museum, on this day?" (Greenblatt, 2161).

I find Greenblatt's sentiments compelling, and wonder if we can apply them Shelley. How has the text of Frankenstein itself been tampered with by Percy, the publishers, and Mary by herself (during the novel's original drafting and of course it's reissue in 1831). Also, how has our culture's treatment of the story of Frankenstein since the time of its publishing affected its overall meaning?

That's all for now. I connected our readings regarding postmodernism to Frankenstein in my seminar paper, which I will post on blackboard shortly.

Dan

No comments:

Post a Comment